Thursday, March 26, 2009

A minor diversion

A quick update from the weekend...

I had a friend over from England this weekend, and after seeing a Flamenco version of Carmen in London together on Thursday we flew back to Santiago on Friday to spend Saturday and Sunday exploring some of the Galician countryside.

Saturday we headed to the Praia das Catedrais, one of Galicia's best known coastal landmarks to see the caves on the beach. The weather was fantastic and it's well worth a visit if you're on the North coast of this province.

rock on the water
On the way there we passed through Lugo and stopped off at the local farmer's market where they had a stunning selection of olives - indeed by far the best I've had in Spain. I thought I bought enough to last me the week, but I appear to be mistaken.

Sunday we headed to the West coast, between Pontevedra and Vigo to spend a few hours on the beach relaxing. In general I'm terrible at just sitting down and not doing anything at the sea, but I managed a good quarter of an hour of sunbathing before I had to get up and wonder around.

We were there with a few friends including a capoeira teacher who gave us an impressive display:
Capoeira on the beach
before we headed for the lighthouse nearby, overlooking the Isla de Cies to watch the sunset:
setting sun

We headed back on Sunday evening to try and catch the meteor shower though even the darkest spots in Santiago seem to have too much light pollution.

For now I'll leave this little bit of info for those around Galicia: Take a look out on Monday night at around 22.00 for the ISS which will be flying directly overhead and will have a visual magnitude of -2.3. Take a look here for the path and times.

No comments: