Monday, January 26, 2009

Happy New Year!

New Year in China is a surreal experience. I look forward to the next time I can be there for this amazing event. In the mean time, thanks to Meiadeleite, I found this video which is the only one I've seen which comes close to showing what a large Chinese city is like at New Year. It really is the closest thing that most people will see to a war zone. The first year I was in Beijing was the first time people had been allowed fireworks in some 13 years, the display lastest almost non-stop for two weeks and the pollution levels went through the roof. You had to be careful walking anywhere you went because people stand in the middle of the street and let them off left, right and centre. Anyway, Happy New Year!

1 comment:

helensotiriadis said...

恭贺新禧!牛年大吉!

(and i'm pinching this)