Friday, December 12, 2008

Lunacy and more

For those of you foolhardy enough not to have Universe Today bookmarked in your feedreader, then you may not know that today the moon is at its closest approach to the Earth this year. It will be 14% larger and some 30% brighter (for those who are not, like I am, in overcast venues) than the moon at its further point this year. This is good for moon watching, but not so great for the Geminid meteor shower which will be somewhat obscured by the extraterrestrial light pollution.

As for me, I'm feeling pretty tired after a busy but successful few days, other than spending 20 minutes trapped in a lift on Wednesday morning. Trust me to be in the lift when there's a powercut. The emergency light was sadly neither bright enough to let me read, nor to take a photo of myself in my encarceration.

I'm currently writing up a review for a conference proceedings which I'd like to get out of the way before 't Hooft turns up next week to give a couple of talks (both departamental and public) and before I go off to Madrid to the Christmas meeting where I will be giving a talk. I'll simply link to my paper from this week with no more commentary for now than the fact that this was an extremely enjoyable paper and one of the best collaborations I've been in, given that all of us bought very different skills to the table. We already have several more ideas on the go and hope to get more done soon.

4 comments:

Jonathan said...

Thanks for the heads up on the moon. I love stuff like that.

That's funny you got stuck in an elevator. I wrote a play about two guys getting stuck in an elevator, I always figured it would happen to me eventually, but it looked like it happened to you instead! Or at least first.

Unknown said...

What happened in your play? Frankly the lift I got stuck in wouldn't really fit two people. I just had room to put my bag down and sit on the floor. Unfortunately I was also taking my kitchen rubbish out which began to stink by the end of the 20 minutes. Not much fun, but another of life's interesting experiences.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jon

The link is to Chesler-Yaffe paper, not yours.

Cheers
Dmitry.

Unknown said...

Strange, it looks like it's linked to my paper when I click it.

J